Assisting you with making smart home buying decisions.

What Causes an Electrical Fire in Residential Homes?

Repainting the walls, decorating the bedroom and planting colorful flowers are excellent ways to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home. Since your home is your sanctuary, you want a house that’s not just beautiful, but safe as well.

A house fire is every homeowner’s worst nightmare. Every piece of material possession you own, including your home, will be gone in an instant. Let’s not forget about the fatalities and injuries that come with this tragic incident. To keep your family, your home and your belongings safe, we urge you to read this blog post and take note of the most common reasons why electrical fires happen.

By being aware of the main hazards and taking steps to avoid them, you can safeguard yourself and your loved ones, as well as prevent the possibility of fire breakouts.

Outdated wiring

Living in the digital world, almost everyone owns a smart phone, a tablet PC and a laptop. If you are a family of 4, it is likely that you have at least 10 electronic devices at home, not including other appliances. In order to power all these devices, you’ll have to plug them into an outlet.

If your house was built more than 40 years ago, your home’s electrical wiring was designed on a far smaller need for electricity. It may not have the capacity to supply your ever-growing collection of appliances and electronics.  Considering the amount of electronic devices we use today, your wiring will be unable to handle the workload. It has the tendency to heat up and increasing the chance of a house fire. For your safety, we highly recommend that you replace old wiring. This will not only reduce the risk of a house fire, it will also increase the value of your home and allow you to use all your electrical devices and appliances safely and more conveniently.

Misuse of extension cords

Extension cords come in many lengths and are marked with a size or gauge. Just because your extension cord has the right length to reach the outlet across the room, it doesn’t mean that it’s the right one to use to power an appliance or electrical tool.

When deciding which extension cord to use, when encourage you to ask the following questions.

  • How far is the nearest outlet from where I’ll be working?
  • What is the total wattage rating of the appliances I’ll be using?
  • Will I use the extension cord indoors or outdoors?

The longer the extension cord is, the lesser is its current carrying capacity. If you’ll be using the extension cord to power 2 to 3 electrical devices, add the wattage rating of these appliances to determine which extension cord you will need. Misuse of extension cords creates serious safety hazards.

Faulty outlets and appliances

Worn out sockets and old, overused appliances are one of the leading causes of electrical fires. According to studies, 13,000 fires start in the kitchen every year. In most cases, these fires happen due to inappropriate use of appliances.

Check your outlets and make sure that there are no loose-fitting plugs. Also, do not overload power boxes with too many appliances at a time. Ultimately, never use an appliance with a frayed or worn cord. Cords that are in poor condition can overheat and start a fire.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect With Us . . .

Certified Home Inspector Certified Home Inspector

Certifications acquired through home inspector training from InterNACHI

Home inspector guaranteed by InterNACHI

Certified Home Inspector